Sample Menu

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Gunalcheesh

No, I didn't sneeze.  Gunalcheesh is Tlingit for, "Thank you."  The Tlingit are from Southeast Alaska. Their name translates to People Of The Tides.

A nice young local man tried to explain how to pronounce Gunalcheesh. He said the closest he could think would be, "Good-ass cheese".

Southeast Alaska was beautiful...and blessedly cooler. People warn that it rains there a lot, but I had 8 out of 10 days of sunshine. 

Here are a few photos to share.


A jacket!!  Back home it was 97 degrees and here I'm wearing a jacket. Awesomeness!


 Juneau harbor is a parking lot for cruise ships.

I didn't take a cruise, but they sure are impressive.

 Downtown Juneau.

 Mendenhall Glacier.

 I tried my luck at panning. Managed to find a flake or two of gold.

 Took a whale-watching tour from this harbor.

This was one of those, 'pull off the side of the road and take a picture' moments.

Hiking through the wilderness. What you don't know is that at this very moment, bug spray was my best friend. 

 I want to live on that boat.

Humpback whales!

2 comments:

  1. These pictures are stunning! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I am envious. I have heard nothing but great things about Alaskan cruises and want to go one one someday. Enjoy coming back to the sweat and humidity.... oh, and PS, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home and congratulations, Maureen! Fabulous photos.

    ReplyDelete