Spot

Today, I take a step away from writing to talk about fish. I would like to introduce you to Spot.  Spot is a Cory Catfish. Cory Catfish come in several different varieties. I have an Albino Cory and a Pepper Cory. I never like to name my fish because they often don't last. I simply referred to my two little catfish as 'the Roombas'. 

The Roombas are the happiest damn fish I've ever seen in my life.  Cories like to school, or have others of their own kind around them. These two Roombas are best friends. They sleep side-by-side. They play together. I always sing Me and my shadow to them.

I went to Petco for something for the tank. I had no intention of getting another fish. The Roombas were happy and I didn't want to tamper with their peaceful existence. Then I saw Spot. I named him Spot the second I laid my eyes on him, already disregarding my rule. He is a Leopard Cory, and he was the only catfish in a giant tank of other breeds. The poor fellow was all alone, with none of his kind to play with. Huge sap that I am, I knew I had to bring him home.
In this picture, see the long beautiful tail of the fish in back,
and then look at Spot's!
Well, when I got him there I realized that Spot had no fins! He'd lost his tail and he'd lost his top fin. Those bullies in that Petco tank must have been nipping at him all this time, and now he's just a chubby little body who wiggles like crazy in order to move.






I am proud to say that the Roombas welcomed him immediately! They have a habit of touching each other, or laying down next to each other. It's a big tank, and yet the trio all sleep together in a tight little row. (Yes, Catfish sleep). Nobody nips at Spot now, and in time he will heal and grow his fins back.







***UPDATE 8/28
I am happy to report that Spot is thriving and his tail is growing.  This leaf is a common resting place for the other two fish.  Without a tail, Spot hadn't been able to swim up there. Now he's sleeping on it too!

Comments

  1. Aw, such a precious story. Your Spot has two great friends. You raised those Roombas right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Update from this morning....Spot is growing a tiny tail fin!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment