Sample Menu

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Newark Tornadoes

I'm wearing a Newark Tornadoes jersey today. Who or what are the Newark Tornadoes, you ask?

They were an NFL football team for two years in 1929-1930.  My grandfather played for the Tornadoes for two games in the 1930 season and then suffered a career-ending injury.  That injury (torn ACL) can be remedied by surgery now, and players are generally back on the field in less than a year.


Two games. One snap. It was enough to put my grandfather's name on NFL.com.  For those of you who know me, you know that I am an avid football fan. Now you understand why. Of course, my grandfather and I strongly disagreed about the Buccaneers. :)

Here's the handsome fellow back in his heyday. He looks primed for a NIKE commercial!

I imagine there are very few people left who will know or remember the Newark Tornadoes.  But today I'm wearing their jersey.  I know.  I remember.  All hail football! Miss you, Grandpa!



No comments:

Post a Comment