Maureen? Really?

For Throwback Thursday I'm going back....waaaay back. I'm going back to about six months before I was born. At that time I was prophesied to be Jill Miller.  It had a nice flow to it. I liked the name Jill. And for six months that was my destiny.

Mind you, both my parents have brown hair and brown eyes. One summer day I popped out with blue eyes and bright white hair. Dad took one look at me and said, "Ohhhh, I guess we'll name her Maureen."  

And so I grew up with a name that spawned inventive tags like Moron. LOL  I can recall a time as a teenager when a boy came up to me and said, "Is your name seriously Maureen? Don't you go by something else?"  Actually, he wasn't too far off base. Everyone in the family has a nickname for me. Many of my friends don't call me Maureen. There are even a group of talented authors who have been calling me Gladys for a number of years, but that's a story for another time...

And then there was the spelling.  I will answer to Maurine, Moreen, Marian, Marine (on the last one I usually offer a salute).  

In Spanish class there was no quaint translation for Maureen. To this day I can still hear my teacher yelling across the room, "MOWWW-REE-NAH!"  

I should state that I'm not Irish, which I believe is the origin of the name.  So there goes that excuse. 

But our name is our name. And when I look in the mirror I don't see Jill Miller. I see Maureen. She's blonde, blue-eyed and kind of stupid looking. But she can play three notes on a guitar and she can achieve one chin-up (some days). 

To all the Maureens in the world. I salute you. And I can spell your name! :)


Comments

  1. For many months my mom thought I was going to be Brian, then a lady popped out of her lady and she was all, "I guess I'll name her Amanda, that Boston song is pretty catchy after all."

    Names. We don't get to pick 'em but we can't imagine ourselves as anything else.

    I can safely say you are the only Maureen I know, and there are worse things to be called ... like Miriam, or Maude...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Amanda, you know now that I'm going to have to call you Brian. :) And yes, that was a good song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Names are tough. It took us a long time to come up with our childrens' names because we tried to thin of every nickname or joke people could make with them. So far, so good. LOL. Since I don't know you outside social media, you are a Maureen to me. But, I would still like you if your names was Jill. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, Maureen to Maureen, I feel your pain! Moron was a favorite taunt and everyone has a different name for me, too...that's okay, I'll answer to all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Thank you, Maureen. I know you understand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Maureen. I'm sure you already know this, but your first name is a diminutive of "Maura", the Gaelic version of "Mary". So in a sense we have the same name.

    Anyhow, "Maureen" is dear to me. I give my favorite inanimate objects names. My first car, the only one I ever loved, was a dark red Toyota Corolla. I named her Maroon Maureen.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maroon Maureen! Love it. Thank you so much, Mary Anne. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment