Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened...

My brother knows I write romance, so when he screened BEYOND to see if it was suitable for my niece to read, a funny thing happened. He liked it!  He said, "This isn't gushy romance." "This has engineers." "I'm an engineer." "This has a cool space ship."  "This has a Lamborghini!"

Oh yeah...I had him at the Lamborghini.

Mr. Engineer finished BEYOND in a day and a half!  Some of you might remember the brilliant but eccentric engineer brother in my old book, BORROWED TIME...hmm...wonder where that character came from?  

The males in the family shy away from my writing because they think it's all that fluffy stuff. But BEYOND was science fiction.  In his opinion, there was no loss of manhood in reading science fiction. :)  

This is a monumental achievement. I feel like Rocky at the top of the steps in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. As an author, your writing can reach so many, but often it can't make it to the next room. :)


6 comments:

  1. It's funny how preconceptions shape our expectations. I'm just as guilty as your brother when it comes to selecting books with a "romance" tag. Except I know your books aren't gushy, even the romance ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! But, why would he NOT think something you wrote sort of for your niece was not suitable for her? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vicki,
    BEYOND has some kissing in it (gasp!) But it's young adult kind-of kissing. :) Merry Christmas!

    Hi Amy,
    He's ultra-protective. I think of what I was reading at her age. I used to read whatever I could get my hands on. It hasn't damaged me...has it? :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other day my 8 year old daughter saw a book I was reading (Blaze by Joan Swan) and said, "He has big abs." The cover is a picture of a shirtless man. Then she said, "Daddy will look like that soon since he is working out." I had to laugh. Good thing she is still young enough to not understand the sex-appeal thing. :)

      Delete
    2. That's so funny! The pressure is on your husband now. :)

      Delete
  4. I loved BEYOND! Glad it's gaining more audience and, of course, a thumbs up from your brother. So very cool!

    ReplyDelete