Guest Author - Bonnie R. Paulson



First for me  and most importantly, thank you, Miss Maureen, for having me on your blog.  I'm so excited to be an author at Carina Press, not only because of the amazing process and brand associated with a Harlequin imprint but also because of the amazing team of people there. This includes the awesome authors!

Breathe Again is a contemporary sweet romance I had a great time writing. I wrote it while I was pregnant with my fourth child and I have to say, the tears flowed.


Maggie Lachlan is struggling to get over the death of her husband. After being overcome by emotion during a shift in the E.R., she's suspended indefinitely. Making things worse, she needs a place to stay after the quick sale of the house she shared with her late husband.

Fortunately, her friend Ryan Stewart offers her a room while she gets her life in order, much to the chagrin of his brother and housemate, Brodan Steele. Brodan doesn't want to like Maggie, not when he questions Ryan’s feelings for her.. But it's hard to deny the attraction he feels for her when she's sleeping under the same roof.

Being so close to Brodan awakens something in Maggie, something she never felt during her marriage. But as long as she's haunted by the past, she can't open herself up to the future... 

The cover bowled me over! The Carina Press art team sent a questionnaire with all kinds of questions. I honestly didn't have any idea what to imagine (I'm not right brained at all) but I asked that they keep it sweet. I also emphasized that the story is based in Montana and the skyline of evergreens at dusk was just perfect. I couldn't be more pleased with the cover. Not ashamed to admit I cried a little bit - and I wasn't pregnant.

Given your medical background, have you ever inserted real-life experiences into your books?

The first scene of Breathe Again is derived from a real life experience - in fact, it's what catapulted the story through my fingers.

Acquiring my radiologic technologist degree required interning at local hospitals.  Following one particularly fun woman, I stopped in mid conversation when she received a page to rush to the ER for a trauma series. We ran down the stairs, one flight, two flights. A second call came on the radio telling her to redirect, she wasn't to take the call and that the Core (center of the department) would send someone else. When the RT I was with questioned the reason, the dispatcher indicated the person coming in had a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. My mentor was devastated. She stopped on the stairs and left me on the landing. I returned to the department and discovered her in the breakroom. She had found her son not long before with the same injuries.

From this encounter, Maggie was born.

That woman's pain truly touched my heart and I wish I could hug her again today. 

Does your passion for dirt biking make it into your books?

Oh, girl! Yes, In fact I have a trilogy I'm working on based around those luscious hunky chunks of metal. MMM. I swear a box of Ethel M's Chocolate lemon chifons and a Yamaha 230 would make me VERY happy any moment of any day. Thank you for mentioning dirt bikes. I love them.

You have a co-author now. How is that working out for you?

The co-author situation is working great.  She's a CP of mine and a good friend. We decided to work on a non-fiction piece a couple weeks ago, fit it in amongst our other projects, and we've been rolling ever since.

You write both contemporary romances and romantic suspense. Do you find it difficult switching between the genres?

No, I have to say, I came up with my motto based around this exact idea. Romance and Action and Kiss and suspense - There is so much action in romance, suspense or otherwise and so much suspense in kissing with life threatening danger or just anticipation, I love writing both and hence RomAction and KissPense.  Sometimes, the danger of the first kiss is the most lethal - and I know this is true after reading Endless Night.

What is next for the talented, Bonnie Paulson?

Talented, you're sweet! I am in the process of submitting another contemporary romance duo as well as slaying revisions and taking names on a trilogy I'm hugely in love with. 

I plan on shooting for RWA#12 in Anaheim, CA next year and can't wait to meet more author friends.  I've had a blast meeting you and so many others - can't wait to meet you in person, Maureen!

Thank you again so much for the chance to be here. I appreciate your support more than words can say.

I would like to offer a digital copy of Breathe Again to a randomly selected commenter.  And a promotional postcard with a discount to a Carina Press purchase to all of your commenters today.

If you're commenting, please include your email so I can email you for your address.  Maureen will let me know the winner and I will get that out to you!

Thank you so much again. I had a blast.

I'm so happy you joined us today, Bonnie, and I'm so proud of you and your wonderful novel, Breathe Again.

Comments

  1. Congratulations, Bonnie. Happy release day!

    Breathe Again is going straight onto my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shirley! Thank you so much for the congrats and, of course, the TBR. That means a lot.

    Good luck in the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RomAction and KissPense. You are a pioneer, Bonnie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol You go Maureen. Do you like that? hehehe I'm a bundler. hugs! And thanks again for having me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Bonnie! Breathe Again sounds like a book I can really sink my teeth into. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Release Day, Bonnie! Breathe Again sounds wonderful, and the cover is just awesome. Congratulations! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Wynter! I appreciate your stopping by. I like sinking my teeth into a good book too!

    Betsy - Thanks for the nice words. I LOVE the cover. The Carina Press team did so well! I cried when I saw it.

    Thanks for stopping by ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment