Sample Menu

Sunday, June 12, 2011

ENDLESS NIGHT - Bloopers!


Movies have bloopers...and so do books! I thought I would share some of the ENDLESS NIGHT outtakes with you.

Original line:

He hooked one ankle over the other and leaned back against the dryer, watching the red digital numbers decrease.

Editor's feedback:

If he is leaning back against the dryer, how can he read the digital display?

My rebuttal:

He is from the planet Zule and has a 360 degree ocular capacity.

What made it into the book:

The dungeon-like atmosphere smothered any desire Jake still felt. Leaning his hip against the dryer, he watched the red digital numbers on the washer decrease.


Original line:

Jake eyed the cover. "Nuclear bombs in North Korea."

Editor's feedback:
Is this headline current enough? 

My rebuttal:

Jake eyed the cover. "Lindsay Lohan goes to jail."

What made it into the book:

Jake eyed the cover. “The oil spill off the California coast?”

Another debate in the book was over a simple sentence that read, He stood on the deck.
I was schooled on the differences between a porch, patio, deck, veranda and balcony, and the final reference that made it into the book was,  porch. 

A reference to Wakefield House that didn't make the final cut:

The sinister shadow of Wakefield House loomed before them like a colossal gargoyle perched on the cliff, ready to launch at the Jeep with its talons and soar off into the black abyss with them clutched in its grasp.

4 comments:

  1. I so know where you're coming from. You labour so hard over your baby that sometimes the obvious slips by. Sometimes quite funny and I doubt whether anyone other than an eagle-eyed editor would notice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know. I think it would have been a very interesting character trait if Jake HAD turned his head 360 degrees to look at the numbers. :D I'd share some of my bloopers, but I've blocked them out of my mind. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Wendy. I had to laugh out loud at some of the points my editor so calmly made. :)

    Betsy, could you imagine one of the romantic scenes when Megan runs her fingers through his hair...and pokes out his back eyes!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful idea for a post! I wish I'd saved some of mine. I love your rebuttals.

    ReplyDelete