Sample Menu

Monday, March 14, 2011

Men Who Write About Assassins and Romance

Today I have a guest author with us.  A man who writes about an immortal knight, assassins, and romance.  I give you, Brendan Carroll.



1.) You write mainstream with a heavy emphasis on a male audience as reflected in the title of the first of your Red Cross of Gold series, "The Knight of Death", and yet readers are pleasantly surprised to find that the book is infused with romance. What inspired that mix?

I think that life naturally requires a mix of emotional states in a novel of any genre if it is to be believable in the least. The female audience is as important to me as the male audience (if not more important). It is my considered opinion after many years of studying the human condition, that interactions between men and women are the driving force in all levels of society from the highest to the lowest. (And I do not discount the alternative lifestyles of any community in this statement. The same applies to any situation that includes love and/or mutual attraction between individuals.) If art imitates life and vice versa, then surely male authors cannot neglect the influence that women/romance/love or the lack of love has on their characters. I have read a number of works by male authors in diverse genres from fantasy to techno-thrillers wherein the author neglects to mention the romantic involvements of their male characters and I find them lacking a sense of familiarity normally offered by real life situations. No matter how manly the hero, he is somehow less so if he has no romance in his life even if it is a broken heart.


2.) After mainstream, one could nearly place you in a hybrid genre of romantic suspense. Would you agree or is that too excessive?


Such a placement would not bother me at all. Romantic suspense is a legitimate genre that sells quite well and has a huge fan base. I love having people (of both the male and female races LOL) read and enjoy my writing. I try to include something that appeals to everyone: young,/old, pagan/Christian, boy/girl, mortal/immortal. My readers have included men from 18 to 80 as well as women in the same age group. Strangely enough most everyone falls into that age bracket… weird, eh?

3.) Do you have any feedback as to your ratio of readers as being male or female?

I guess I sort of answered that question under #2 above. I have only feedback from reviews (most are done by women it seems) and the people I have spoken with in email, Facebook and various forums such as Kindleboards, Goodreads and Twitter. If I had to guess, I would actually think that my female fans outnumber the males.

4.) In Tempo Rubato you change the formula readers have come to know and placed us into a world where the thought of time travel seems entirely conceivable. What made you travel down this alternate path?

Tempo Rubato was actually written about four years prior to the first book of the Assassin Chronicles. It was actually a tribute to Wolfgang Mozart that I wrote after studying his works and biography during a low point in my life. Once I had read about his trials and tribulations, I felt much better and considered myself lucky. I actually feel like I may owe some part of my life to the composer in some way. It seemed that he reached from beyond the grave and touched my life in a personal manner, thus the time-travel aspect in the book. I know that this is just fantasy on my part and it would not stand to reason that even if Mozart does have the capability of reaching out to the living over 200 years after his death in the physical or spiritual sense, he would hardly have chosen me! On the other hand, Mozart reaches out to all of us by way of his legacy, his music and it is this sublime connection to his very soul that made me want to let him live again if only on paper. I suppose this all sounds very strange, but there you have it.

5.) What can we look forward to from you in the future?

I have a few more books to publish in the Assassin Chronicle series. Possibly another year to 18 months worth of publishing to complete my Opus Major. I read here and there on a daily basis that no one will read a series that has more than three books in it. This is a total misconception. I have twenty-two books out in the series and I sell a great number of book twenty-twos. Besides, look at the Star Trek novels; there are literally hundreds of novels in the series and readers still want them.

I also have a post-apocalyptic adventure novel with a monkey as one of the main characters waiting for me to polish, edit and release, as well as a Henry Fielding style historical romance adventure in the same condition. Both are laced with humor, adventure and much confusion. I am really looking forward to getting them out there.

I would like very much to write an Amanda Hocking style story about flying monkey vampires and make as much money as she has. My hat is off to her and the other Indie authors who have made the big time. I will have to study her style, go back and re-read Bram Stoker and give it a go.

I did attempt to write some erotic smut when I learned that this genre was a well paid side line, but I couldn't write the most important parts… what a joke that was! I kept imagining my mother reading it and knowing that I wrote it and the worst thing about that was the unbidden image of my mother(or father) reading erotic smut. So I gave it up, thankfully. I mean that was really weird! My mom is only sixteen years older than me and when I think back about what I was doing at sixteen… well, some things are just better left unimagined!


Brendan Carroll resource links:

The Knight of Death link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J6ORUI

Tempo Rubato link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MPPOZW

Amazon Author Page

2 comments:

  1. Great interview. I agree with your observation that the interaction between men and women is a driving force at any level. I think that's why romance is so hugely popular.
    And BTW, I write erotic smut. I just tune out any images of my parents reading it. I know they skip those parts;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just let me know when you do that Henry Fielding Tom Jones thing and you've got an automatic sale.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete