Sample Menu

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Why are you a Romance Novelist?


You often hear authors say, "I've been writing since I was a single cell."
Well...it's like the fish story. You've been writing since you were in high school, and then it's since you were ten, and then it's since you were an infant. You keep embelishing. :)
I have been writing since I was a kid, and I'll leave it at that. We will discount the adventures of Super Watermelon Man and move on to an age when I actually sat down and wrote a full-fledged 60 page novel about space aliens in a small coastal town. Moving beyond that phase, and into my late teens, I wrote my first full-length novel which was about some crazy tale of people getting posessed and having glowing green eyes all because they lived near some haunted house that had a history with Druid rituals!!! Whoah! More likely I would guess nuclear activity was involved...and it was probably me that was affected and not the characters :)
Then, I progressed to the mind-control stage. That book was actually good, and considering that Matt Damon resurrected the Bourne series, I'd love to bring it back to life someday.
But then, something happened. I became a woman. It was as if the great Editor above came down and tapped me on the shoulder and said, "enough of this nonsense, get on with what you're supposed to be doing."
Maybe others have a more glamorous tale as to what brought them to their genre, but however I arrived here, I'm happy in my world. I may dazzle you with that mind control novel one day, but you can count on me to toss out romantic suspense on a consistent basis. Thank you great Editor from above!

7 comments:

  1. Great post! I think you said it for all of us who are writers. It's not what we do, it's not a career, it's who we are. Thanks for saying it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now see Maureen, in your case, the Great Editor from above saw your name and said, "That name is going to look fantastic on a book cover!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started in 2006 and never finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you were a teenager! :)
    The world became a better place in 2006, BS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the space alien thing and the watermelon man ideas. I don't think I want to become a woman and write romance even though I do read romance to 'inherit' the proper manner of writing out those special scenes that my characters insist on engaging in from time to time. Egad! I don't know why they think I can write those for them... geesh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Great Editor (why am I picturing the great pumpkin) gave you special abilities, Brendan. Use them wisely.

    One day you're going to hear the pitter patter of my little feet as I say, "Brendan, will you please edit my mind control book." :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I would love to read the mind control thing and the watermelon man stories. Even romance authors need to branch out once in awhile!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete