July


















June was a month for editing. Funny enough, July is shaping up to be the same.
It's a sad day when you work yourself into such an editing spiral that you are left with two words on the page, and you sit back with a smile of relief and say, "yes, this will do."
I believe there is a disease called Editotosis in which the writer habitually deletes unnecessary words until they are left with a blank page. It's ironic that I suffer from this illness, when years ago if I was to delete one word it would be akin to severing a finger. Actually, the loss of an appendage would probably be less painful.
So when you pick up my next book and open it to page one (the only page) and it says simply, "It rained." Think to yourself, 'My, what a splendid editing job.' :)

Comments

  1. Oh, I so understand Editotosis. You think it's bad with one author, you should see our manuscript when both Dave and I get through with it.

    "It rained." is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't know that picture of me at my first signing was still around! Wherever did you find it?
    Editing? That is the story of my life, pardon the pun. That's all I do, but I rarely cut, I usually add. Is that weird? Guess I have too many words in my head.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment